Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Joining the Ranks of Former Smokers

My job has got to be the most rewarding on earth. I just finished 3 workshops in Southern California and many smokers were successful at quitting. That means a few less people will die from heart disease, a few less from cancer, and a few less will be disabled from a stroke or from emphysema, living out the last years of their lives tied to an oxygen tank.
I don't take credit for their quitting, I just provide the right atmosphere and the tools needed, then each smoker is responsible for putting the tools into a plan of action that works for them. Now comes the hard part, staying quit forever. Depending on which study you look at, somewhere between 60 and 90% of quitters will relapse within 1-2 years after stopping. Smoking is called a chronic relapsing disorder and many will fall back into smoking effortlessly by believing that they can control their smoking or certain situations will overwhelm their ability to cope.
It took me 9 serious attempts at quitting before I was finally successful. My wish for today is that this is the last attempt for each of those individuals from my workshops. I hope I never see you again (in another workshop because of a relapse). Good luck on staying quit forever!

No comments: