Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Many Reasons Why We Smoke

There are many reasons why people smoke, these are just some, see how many apply to you


STIMULATION:
I smoke cigarettes in order to keep myself from slowing down, such as in the late afternoon.
I smoke to stimulate myself, to perk myself up or to wake up in the morning.
I smoke to give myself a “lift”
Smoking helps me to concentrate when I am reading or studying.

BOREDOM:
I smoke a lot when I am alone.
I smoke when I have extra time on my hands.

HANDLING:
Handling a cigarette is part of the enjoyment of smoking it.
Part of the enjoyment of smoking comes from the steps I take to light up, from packing the tobacco to lighting it up and holding the cigarette in my hand.
When I smoke, part of the enjoyment is watching the smoke as I exhale or blowing smokerings.
When I don’t have a cigarette to smoke, I feel awkward because I don’t know what to do with my hands.
When I smoke, I enjoy the feeling of the cigarette and the smoke on my tongue and lips.

PLEASURABLE RELAXATION:
Smoking cigarettes is pleasant and relaxing.
I find cigarettes enjoyable.
I light up a cigarette most when I am most relaxed and comfortable.
Smoking helps me relax quickly when I feel tense.

REDUCE STRESS AND NEGATIVE EMOTIONS:
When I am trying to solve a problem, I light up a cigarette.
When I feel “blue” or want to take my mind off cares and worries, I smoke.
When I feel uncomfortable or upset about something I smoke.
I light up a cigarette when I feel angry about something.
Few things help better than cigarettes when I’m feeling upset.
When I am faced with troubles of some kind, smoking a cigarette seems to help me face them more easily.

PHYSICAL ADDICTION/CRAVING:
I smoke at least one pack a day.
I smoke within 30 minutes of getting up in the morning.
I need to smoke at least one cigarette every hour.
I am very much aware of the fact when I am not smoking a cigarette.
I get a real gnawing hunger for a cigarette when I haven’t smoked in a while.
Between cigarettes, I get a craving that only a cigarette can satisfy.
When I run out of cigarettes I find it almost unbearable until I can get them.
I go on smoking even though I find the taste rather unpleasant

HABIT:
I smoke automatically without even being aware of it.
I always smoke in certain situations such as answering the phone, getting in the car or with a drink or with coffee.
I have found a cigarette in my mouth and didn’t remember putting it there or I light up and find one already burning in the ashtray.
There are specific times during the day when I regularly smoke.
Right after lighting a cigarette, I put it out because I realize I don’t really want it.
I smoke a lot when I am talking to friends.

When quitting, it is important to have many different tools to deal with the different cravings. What works for a "habit" cigarette, may not work for a "stress" cigarette.

No comments: